Introduced in the Government of Canada’s Budget 2018, the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant for Women offers women training in the trades $3,000 in each of their first two years of training. This grant supports women in entering, progressing, and completing their training in Red Seal trades. Combined with the existing Apprenticeship Completion Grant, this would mean up to $8,000 over the course of their training. The new grant supports gender equality and improved economic outcomes for women by providing more opportunities to access all Red Seal trades where they are currently under-represented.
To be eligible, you must:
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person;
• not be a high school student;
• self-identify as a woman;
• have the required AIG-W supporting documents;
• be registered with your provincial/territorial apprenticeship authority as an apprentice in a designated Red Seal trade having low female representation;
• have progressed in your training in designated Red Seal trades on or after April 1, 2018; and
• provide proof that you have successfully completed either the 1st and/or 2nd year/level (or equivalent) of apprenticeship.
• The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant is a taxable benefit • If apprentice progressed in 2018, the deadline is June 30, 2019
• If apprentice progressed on or after January 1, 2019, the deadline is 12 months following data of progression.
• Each apprentice can apply for this grant twice during training (for a maximum of $6,000).
• All apprentices must have completed first year/level to apply.
• Applications are available online at: www.canada.ca/apprenticeship-grants or call 1-866-742-3644. (takes approx. ten minutes)